Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Juror #200

So, I've received my summons for jury duty a few weeks ago. I checked the Washington Co. web site today to see if my juror number was called.

And it is.

It told me I needed to arrive at 8am at the Washington Co. Courthouse, Tuesday, December 14th, 2005. And I am not to bring newspapers, firearms, knitting neetles, friends and family, pepper spray, or anything else remotely entertaining.

Actually, I'm going to back this story up a little bit.

Before I even got to work today, and before I even checked the WA Co. website, I got a really late start. Really really late.

And then I got to sit in US-26 which happened to be covered in frost.

I realized, then, that I forgot my cell phone at home, so I couldnt call my work and tell them I'd be late.

After that, I remembered I forgot my wallet AGAIN (I did it yesterday, too) in the pocket of another coat.

And then I remembered that today is the Holiday potluck. I had no food or money.

And then I remembered that it was also the day we were supposed to bring in our white elephant gifts. Which I did not have.

And LASTLY I finally rememered that today was also the day that our Giving Tree gifts were supposed to be wrapped and turned in.

THANKFULLY I had my Giving Tree gift already in my car. But it wasnt wrapped, and I didnt have money to buy and wrapping paper.

So, suffice to say I was in a pretty bad mood when I got into my office (20 minutes late).

When I checked the website, and it told me I had to be at the courthouse Tuesday, December 14th, 2005, I nearly broke down into tears. Because I though my letter told me I had to report on the 15th. And if I had been mistaken, and I really did have to report on the 14th, I had skipped my jury duty.

Until the really really really chatty file clerk told me Tuesday, December 14th, 2005 does not exist. That today is actually Wednesday, Dec. 14th, 2005.

Then she followed that up by saying, "What if it is today that you are supposed to be there? Can you get arrested for that?"

(I hate her, she's stupid....weeeell, except for the fact she's doing my filing...heh)

Anyway, so I freaked out even more. Called my dad, who assured me that the letter said the 15th.

I felt better after that. But I still called some lady at the courthouse to make sure.

It turned out their website was wrong.

pshhh.

Whatever, though.

I'm off now to catch up on my current Washington County events! And form lots and lots of strong opinions!!! Hurray!!!

"I consider trial by jury as the only anchor ever yet imagined by man, by which a government can be held to the principles of its constitution."

- THOMAS JEFFERSON (1789)

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger The one and only Tree said...

whoa...what a day! I sorry my little Mel... Hopefully today will be much improved.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

And if you want to share a bad day, read Teresa's blog. Maybe that will help out too! Sorry about your horrible day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home